Connect Selzy and Google Sheets to automatically add new contact data from a Google spreadsheet to your Selzy's contacts list.
In the Integrations section, go to My integrations and create a New connection (automation):
Next, you will see the automation builder. Here you choose from which app to receive data and to which one to send it.
In the Select an app which sends the data section, you choose an app that sends the data and set up the trigger for starting the automation.
In the Select an app which receives the data section, you choose an app that receives the data and specify the automatic action.
- Click on Select an app which sends the data:
- In the App (service) field, select Google Sheets. And in the Event field, select New row created. In this case, when a new row in the spreadsheet is created, an action will be automatically performed (for example, a new contact will be added to the contacts list).
The second trigger, Watch for cell change and send row, will be activated by any change in a cell of a pre-existing row or by the creation of a new row. This feature is still in development.
To finish setting up the trigger, we need to create a connection to Google Sheets.
- Click Add a connection to connect your Google Sheets account:
- Enter a Title for the connection and click Continue:
- Grant Selzy access to your Google Sheets account by clicking Grant access:
- In the popped-up window, choose the Google account you want to connect and allow the requested actions:
- You will see a notification if the connection is successful. Click on any button, for example, OK:
- Next, choose what spreadsheet and sheet in Google Sheets will be the source for data transfer to Selzy:
- Click Add a trigger:
- In the Automation operation mode popped-up window, specify the data transfer mode.
Real-time means that data will transfer in real time. Transfer of the new rows will begin when the first new row in the spreadsheet is created.
Data migration means the transfer of the data that has already been added to the spreadsheet before. You should select the Data migration option if you need to transfer pre-filled rows of the spreadsheet into Selzy. In that case, on the next step of the setup, you should choose the Add many contacts action and not Add a new contact action. This method of transferring contacts is an alternative to manually exporting a contacts file from Google Sheets and importing it into Selzy.
For transferring the new rows, select Real-time:
- In the Fields Settings window, click Save:
Note that if you see an error notification after setting up the trigger, you probably have not selected a Google Sheets spreadsheet and sheet.
In that case, click on the view icon (an eye) to select the Google Sheets spreadsheet and sheet from where the data will be transferred to Selzy.
- Click the Select an app which receives the data and, in the App field, select Selzy:
- In the Action field, select Add a new contact:
- In the Selzy Account field, select your connection to Selzy and then click Add an action:
In the popped-up window, you need to set up the overwrite rules, the fields for data transfer, and the contacts list where the contacts will be added. You will also need to set up the double opt-in parameters.
- Select the mode for overwriting the fields in the Overwrite rules. For example, you can select All fields will be overwritten. The overwriting rule will apply to those contacts that are already on the list.
Select the Add new values to fields (0) if you need to transfer only empty or new contact fields and not change the existing ones. If the contact was in other lists, it will be added to the new list and will remain in the old lists.
Select the All fields will be overwritten (1) if you need to replace all field values with new ones. The old field values will be deleted and overwritten with new ones. If the contact was in other lists, it will be deleted from them and will be added only to the one list specified in the Contact List field.
Select the Only passed parameters will be overwritten (2) if you need to replace only the values of fields that are transferred from the spreadsheet. If the contact has other fields in Selzy, they will not be overwritten.
Here is an example of how the overwriting looks in practice:
The Selzy row shows the contact’s fields before the transfer of the contact from Google Sheets.
The Sheets row shows the contact’s fields as they are filled in the Google Sheets spreadsheet.
And in the rest of the rows, you can see the result after each overwriting rule is applied:
Result (0) — Add new values to fields (0)
Result (1) — All fields will be overwritten (1)
Result (2) — Only passed parameters will be overwritten (2)
Lists and Tag fields you set up on the second step of the integration setup (Add a new contact). Email, Name, Product, and Order are fields that are transferred from the Google Sheets spreadsheet.
- In the Email field, select the name of the column from where the contact's email address will be transferred:
Next, you can select the columns from where the contact's phone and name will be transferred:
- In the Contact List field, select the contact list in Selzy where the transferred contacts will be added:
- In the Double Opt-In field, select whether you need an invitation letter to confirm the subscription to the contact list. If you do not need an invitation letter, select 3:
Always send an invitation (0) means that sending an invitation letter is required for the subscription to the contacts list.
Invitation letter not required (3) means that sending an invitation letter is not needed. The contact will be added to the contacts list right away with the status “new”.
Invitation letter for new users only (4) means that the system will check whether the contact already was in your lists. If the contact was not in any of your contacts lists, it will receive an invitation letter. Ans if it already is in the contacts lists, it will be added to the dedicated list right away, without an invitation letter.
Here is an example of the filled-out fields:
- Save the settings by clicking Save:
- To launch the integration, click Start:
The Google Sheets and Selzy integration is ready. Now whenever there is a new row created in the spreadsheet of your choice, the data from it will be transferred to the Selzy contacts list.
If you made changes to Selzy or Google Sheets (for example, created a new list or field), and you don’t see them in the integration settings, try updating the connection with Selzy or Google Sheets.
When you need to update the connection:
- You created a new list or field in Selzy, and you want it to appear in the settings regulating the adding of contacts.
- You added a new field to the Google Sheets spreadsheet that is connected to Selzy.
To update the connection, go to My integrations, then go to Apps and select Google Sheets connection. Click Update:
You can update the connection with Selzy the same way. Select Selzy connection and click Update:
Now the changes you made to Google Sheets or Selzy will be reflected in the integration.